The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) is committed to ensuring that law enforcement agencies across the nation serve all people with fair, equitable, and effective public safety practices. To that end, the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS Office) offers the Collaborative Reform Initiative Continuum of Technical Assistance Services to assist law enforcement agencies and the communities they serve in identifying and implementing organizational improvements and reforms through training, consultation, peer-based learning, analysis, and in-depth assessments.
The COPS Office Collaborative Reform Initiative is structured as a continuum of services offered to law enforcement agencies on a strictly voluntary basis. The three programs along the continuum offer services that range in time and complexity all designed to meet the following goals:
Build trust between police and the communities they serve
Improve fairness, effectiveness, and efficiency in agency operations
Enhance officer safety and wellness
Build agencies’ capacity for organizational learning and self-improvement
Promote community policing practices nationwide
- Collaborative Reform Initiative Technical Assistance Center (CRI-TAC) offers training and TA on a request-and-deliver basis through a consortium of law enforcement stakeholder associations, subject matter experts (SME), and training providers. These engagements are narrowly scoped and conducted at the pace of the requesting agency.
- The Critical Response program offers an intermediate form of technical assistance that includes issue-specific or after action reviews and reports or targeted assistance in the wake of a critical incident. In contrast to Organizational Assessment, this program does not involve on-going implementation and technical assistance in the long term.
- The Organizational Assessment program offers a more intensive form of technical assistance, involving in-depth assessments and technical assistance on systemic issues that challenge community trust and confidence. These engagements are the most comprehensive.
Although the programs along the continuum are complementary, each serves a distinct level of technical assistance need. Each of the three programs contribute to the prescribed goals by assisting participating law enforcement agencies make small and large-scale improvements and reforms on a proactive, collaborative, and voluntary basis.
Continuum of TA Services
COPS Office Technical Assistance: Historical Recap
Law enforcement agencies requesting services under this initiative must be ready to engage fully and establish it as a priority. Law enforcement agencies requesting participation in any Collaborative Reform Initiative program will undergo a standard approach for onboarding.
Law enforcement agencies interested in TA services may submit an initial inquiry to the COPS Office. The request to participate in the program must be voluntary and ultimately come from the law enforcement executive of the agency.
- Requesting assistance or more information
- Specifying program (i.e., CRI-TAC, Critical Response, Organizational Assessment)
Ensures that the requesting agency, technical assistance provider(s), and the COPS Office are in full agreement on the type of technical assistance being requested, the most appropriate program to meet that agency’s needs, and the mutual expectations amongst all involved parties.
- Assessing/defending request
- Describing program parameters
- Aligning expectations
Entails the production of a detailed workplan, to include timelines, resources (e.g., information/data needs, staffing), and the approach for conducting technical assistance.
- Developing work plan
- Identifying resource requirements
- Establishing timelines
The delivery of technical assistance marks the completion of agency onboarding and beginning of all work prescribed within the parameters of the specific program.
- Launching engagement
- Executing work plan
To submit a request under the COPS Office Collaborative Reform Initiative Continuum of Technical Assistance Services, please complete the following:
If you wish to contact the COPS Office Collaborative Reform Initiative team, please email TechnicalAssistance@usdoj.gov or call the COPS Office Response Center at 1-800-421-6770.
- CRI Fact Sheet
- Collaborative Reform Initiative Continuum of Technical Assistance Strategic Framework
Pre-2018 Legacy Sites
The below table highlights sites that the COPS Office has conducted TA efforts with through the previous Collaborative Reform and Critical Response programs before 2018. To see active and closed sites under the revamped Collaborative Reform Initiative program, please visit the Organizational Assessment and Critical Response web pages. All CRI-TAC agencies can be found at the CRI-TAC map.